The Department of Studies in Education was established in 1956and it is one of the oldest departments of education in India, which was initially started at the University Teachers College and later in 1960shifted to the Manasagangotri campus as an independent department. Master of Education (M.Ed. - part-time) and Master of Arts (M.A.) in Education programmes were offered till 1976.One year Master of Education (M.Ed.) programme was offered from 1976 to 2014.Ph.D. in Education programme has been offered from early 1970s.Two yearMaster of Education (M.Ed.) professional programme was introduced in 2015 as per NCTE Regulations 2014.
The department has successfully accomplished63 batches of M. Ed. About 250 candidates have been awarded Ph.D.s in Education till date. Presently The department is offering Two Year M.Ed. ProfessionalProgramme for competitive aspirants.
The Alumni Association which started in the 1970s is an added feather in the cap of the department and has about 3000 members from across the country and abroad. A well-equipped Library has been set up under Alumni Association funds and has about 1000 educational reference books. The alumni of the department are positioned in coveted governing bodies at national and international level,and many are appointed at esteemed universities and educational institutions in teaching and administrative positions.
The department has successfully organized numerous work-shops, seminars, conferences, and orientation programmes at national and international levels.The faculty have coordinated many refresher courses for Teacher Educators organised by UGC-Academic Staff College/Human Resource Development Centre of University of Mysore. Many extension activities are being carried out by the faculty by actively involving themselves as resource persons and consultants.
To bring out a proficient and committed educational workforce, leaders and researchers, competent to engage in educational endeavoursfor establishing a value and technology based knowledge society in order to create and facilitate opportunities for the younger generation with a humanitarian approach.
— To foster continuous learning skills for students, teachers, educational leaders and researchers.
— To promote professional development opportunities among the stakeholders through innovative strategies.
— To guide and inspire knowledge building through quality and need based research.
— To imbibe universal and humanitarian values for building euphoric society through various curricular and extended curricular activities.
The department is situated in the ground floor of Humanities Block in Manasagangotri Campus, University of Mysuru. Department has all the infrastructural facilities as per the existing regulations of National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE).
Department is privileged to have the following common facilities provided by University of Mysore:
• Central Library has abundant resources including digital access and facilities.
• Indoor Sports complex, Sports Ground, National Level Cricket stadium and national level swimming pool.
• Four Hostels for Men &Three Hostelsfor Women with good infrastructure and food. Hostels are equipped with computer centre and Gymnasiums.
• About eight hi-tech auditoriums for conducting various curricular and extended curricular activities.
• Technology and Digital Labs at Educational Multi Media and Resource Centre.
• Digital Library for visually challenged students under Drishti Project.
• Well-equipped Health Centre with expert medical professionals and facilities.
• A huge Amphitheatre for conducting Literary and Cultural Activities.
• Digitally enabled University Career Hub and also Centre for Proficiency Development and Placement Services Wing.
• Day care centre facility at the Department of Studies in Food and Nutrition.
• Two Guest Houses for professionals, invitees and visitors.
• ‘Radio Manasa’ Radio station and ‘Varsity News’ Broadcasting Channel.
• Wall clock tower with Radio and Educational Broadcasting.
• Large ‘Kukkarahalli Lake’ with walking track, gifted with scenic natural beauty.
• Aesthetically landscaped gardens, pathways and well-lit roadways with solar lights.
• Battery operated e-carts for easy movement within the campus.
• Canteen facilities, Photocopying and Stationary shops.
• 24 X 7 Security Services at Five Entrance Gates and CCTV Surveillance in all buildings as well as nook and corners of the campus.
• Sports and Cultural competitions under “Sports and Cultural Club”.
• Eco - friendly activities under “Eco club”.
• Health and hygiene awareness programmes under “Health Club”.
• Catering to the needy under “Community Club”.
• To maintain equality in all campus activities we have an “Equality Committee”.
• Catering to the needy under Community Club.
• Visit Museums and remarkable places to understand Rich cultural heritage to develop self-esteem and identity.
• Visits to community-oriented places like milk dairy, fire extinction services, etc.
• Conducting Essay and Debate competitions.
• Remedial English Coaching and Soft Skills development programmes.
• Honouring veteran students who have accomplished Ph.D., NET/SLET Examinations and also obtaining highest marks in M.Ed.
• Setting higher aspirations through organising motivational programmes and lecture series.
• Student Guidance and Counselling through Mentor-Mentee programme.
• Coaching for competitive examinations given by veteran professors and experts.
• Opportunities to collaborate and interact with veterans of the department.
• Recognized by National Literacy Mission, New Delhi as an Agency for External Evaluation of TLC, PLC and Continuing Education Programs.
• Completed various projects sponsored by UGC, NCERT, NUEPA, ICSSR, MHRD, GOVT OF KARNATAKA (SSA AND JNANA AYOGA) and other state governments.
• Recipient of National Fellowships (RGNF/NFHE and UGC-JRF) by number of Research Scholars.
• Development of various course materials and tools for research studies both in English and Kannada.
• Practice of using Blended Learning approach and group techniques of teaching like seminars, workshops, group discussions and tutorials.
Teaching faculty are identified by various universities and other national and international agencies as resource persons, evaluators and writers of instructional materials.
• Smt. Narayanamma Balakrishnaiah Gold Medal for first rank in M.Ed.
• Smt. Indira Govinda Rao Gold Medal for highest marks in M.Ed.
• Sri. Chamundeshwari Sugars Ltd. KM Doddi Gold Medal for first position in M.Ed.
• Alumni Association Silver Jubilee Celebration Gold Medal for highest marks in M.Ed.
• M.S.G.R. Antony Patrao Gold Medal for highest marks in M.Ed.
• GiriappaHanumanthappa Cash Prize for second rank in M.Ed.
• Bangalore Turf Club Cash Prize for the best dissertation in M.Ed.