Brief History of Department
The department of Psychology at the University of Mysore has the distinction of being the second oldest Department in the country. Dr. M.V.Gopalaswamy, after obtaining his Ph.D. in London under Dr. Charles Spearman, established this Department in 1924. Dr. B. Kuppuswamy, a renowned social psychologist, and Prof. B. Krishnan, known for his work in the field of Indian Psychology, led the department for a long time to its present glory. The Department was offering M.A. Degree in Psychology till the year 1998. Since most of the syllabi have now been revised in line with the tenets of science with a greater emphasis on practicum, the degree offered since 1998 is M.Sc. in Psychology.
Departmental research activities:
We have several research projects ongoing the details of which could be seen under the individual profiles of Faculty.
Chairs/Fellowship/Medals (if any) : GOLD MEDALS
- SMT.SATYAVATY CHAR ENDOWMENT GOLD MEDAL
- DR. KANIYAR NARASIMHA IYENGAR ENDOWMENT GOLD MEDAL
- DR. M. V. GOPALASWAMY MEMORIAL GOLD MEDAL
- THE PSYCHOLOGY DEPARTMENT GOLDEN JUBILEE COMMEMORATION SMT. KAVERI JANARADHANA RAO GOLD MEDAL
- THE PSYCHOLOGY DEPARTMENT GOLDEN JUBILEE COMMEMORATION IDEAL
- ABDUL GAFOOR KHAN SCHOLARSHIP FOR CHILD PSYCHOLOGY DISSERTATION
- THE PSYCHOLOGY DEPT. GOLDEN JUBILEE COMMEMORATION SCHOLARISHIP FOR INDIAN PSYCHOLOGY DISSERTATION